Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Challenge! Will you take it?

You have heard of goals, right, who hasn't. At times, goals can seem so OVERWHELMING, and can end up leaving you feel like a loser, if you don't accomplish them. Or at least that's how I have seen them and that's how they have made me feel in the past. I know, new year, usually brings about NEW goals/resolutions.. only to set them and then fail. Well, I am doing it yet again, but I REFUSE to fail. Here's how.

Usually I have a ton of "NEW" things I want to accomplish for the year. And by February, I have failed most of them, or forgot them, or don't care anymore. But I wanted to take the pressure off a little, so here is what I came up with, take a look.

1.) I want to LEARN something new.
I am only learning 1 thing new, and I am taking guitar lessons, it's something I have always wanted to do, and I am not getting any younger. So I have a lesson, once a week. My teacher and lesson, is holding me accountable.

2.) I want to try 12 NEW foods.
You say, OK, fail, that's hard, how and the heck you going to do that? And Stick with it??? Well, my GOAL is to buy 1 new item EVERY time I grocery shop. Now, that will be way more than 12 if I stick to it EVERY time. But if I forget here and there, I am still not setting myself up for failure. This month, we have tried Star Fruit, Fuyu (fruit) and Asparagus (not NEW, but I have never tried it). We went 2 for 3 in our house, Star fruit +, Asparagus + and Fuyu - (not so much), but we TRIED them all!! And so did the kids!!! The 12 comes from wanting to try at least 1 new food per month.

3.) I want to do some form of exercise everyday.
This has been tough, but I am NOT giving up. I bought this workout DVD program called 10-Minute trainer. OM Goodness!! It's amazing what you can do in 10 minutes and how hard you are working. This way, I have NO excuse. The plan is to do 2-3, 10 min workouts daily, BUT here's the beauty, if I only have 10 minutes to workout, I can do a video that is literally 10 minutes, I LOVE IT!!!! It's the guy who did the P90X videos, so you know he's good. I can do it all in the comfort of my home :) NO real accountability, except feeling better and looking better. I have had NO MOTIVATION to get back in shape, so for me, I had to start small, and this is what I need.

4.) I wanted to get into my bible and prayer on a regular daily basis.
So this has been hard for me on many levels. I am not a reader and comprehending what I read is really hard for me, but the HS is working on me :) I am sticking with it and not giving up, and I got an ACCOUNTABILITY partner. She checks in with me every other day to see how my reading is going!! It's really such a HUGE improvement from where I was before
- For prayer, well, I pray before and after I read. PLUS, I joined a prayer fasting group, there are 5 of us in the group. Every Saturday, from 8-12Noon, I fast. Then at 9AM, we all pray together (in our own homes), for the 5 prayer requests submitted by the group members :) It's been going GREAT, and God is really answering our prayers, amazing to see how faithful he is to us, when we are faithful to him.

5.) Focus on God's new plans for me.
There is a lot going on over here, and God is really preparing me for some amazing things. I am writing, and working on speaking, and I am SAVING for a mission trip next year. He is preparing me for big things, and I have been praying for this. So I am excited to see how God will USE me!!!!

So these are my goals, and if you see, I didn't set that bar SO high that I couldn't obtain it. AND if you notice for all of them, I sort of have a fail proof approach to it! The guitar, I am taking lessons, so that will HOLD me to it. New foods, I am already grocery shopping, all I need to do is throw one NEW food in my cart. The exercise, come on, who doesn't have 10 minutes to do SOMETHING! The bible and prayer, I have my accountability partner and then my prayer group. Now focusing on God's plans, this is the hardest, but there are certain people who know all about these things and they are in a sense holding me accountable for what I am striving for :)

I think we can do this!! May you would take a look at what has been hanging over you and you would take a couple minutes and set out 3-5 goals. Heck start with one goal for February, and once you accomplish that, keep doing it, but then set another one for March, and so on... I think if we don't continue to challenge ourselves, and learn new things, and strive to be all we truly can be.... one day we will wake up, 89 years old, and look back and think, "God, what did I do with ALL you gave me?" It's so hard and we seem to get caught up in the business of life!! Don't let the "busy" hold you back!! Baby steps, and you can accomplish anything!!!

Post here - I would love to hear what your goals are and if you will take this challenge!!


No comments:

Post a Comment